Hi ya all –
We made the picture below as part of a Holiday card for our home school community “Heritage card swap”. Or biggest traditions center around sharing our love for gardening – especially during this season.
The picture is of our in-progress garden.
How many plants can you find?
Most are fruits & vegetables but there are some nectary plants, flowers & groundcover ~
Okay here’s the list:
2. our rockin’ banana tree
7. cattails (yep, they are edible)
10. flax (it’s a nectary, but we use it in lots of cooking – the flower is adorning santa’s hat)
16. smilax vine (it’s climbing the banana tree)
18. swiss chard
19. sunflowers (I’m adding here because you can eat the seeds)
– There are a number of flower types to represent nectary plants that bring in bees, butterflies & beneficial bugs
– The green tall leaved plant (the 1 below the Stawberry Xmas tree) represent the many plants & herbs that are companions to (& benefit) our edibles.
– The group of yellow flowered plants [under the santa hat] look sort of like perennial peanut & represent the enormously important group of “ground cover” plants.
Well that about covers it (okay – that was a bad pun). ;D
It was so much fun designing the card.
Hopefully you & your kiddos had fun searching for the different plants and had interesting discussions along the way.
May you know the SPiCE in life!